Friday, September 26, 2008

Not your parents wedding video . . or is it?

It's safe to say weddings have come a long way from the 70s.

I think all of us at one time or another have poured over the wedding albums of the past and chuckled at the wood paneled reception halls, bell bottomed suits or tuxes and Jordan almond colored bridesmaid dresses. Heh, I think I just summed up my parent's 1975 garden wedding in one sentence.

However, one hot trend we are seeing is the resurrection of the 70s style home video, also known as Super 8.

Per Wikipedia, Supr 8 mm film, also simply called Super 8, is a motion picture film format that was developed in the 1960s and released on the market in 1965 by Eastman Kodak as an improvement of the older 8 mm home movie format, and the Cine 8 Format.

These days, although most usage of Super 8 has been replaced by more updated film formats, certain cinematographers are choosing to inject Super 8 clips into their otherwise traditional format wedding videos, or have opted to completely replace the traditional kind altogether; with the philosophy that the Super 8 video is a superior expression of art. If you are longing for a retro/romantic home wedding video (but not really), one that will remind you of the opening credits to Wonder Years, this could be the style of video of for you.

Here are some vendors in our area that offer it. All have neat examples on their respective sites:

http://www.wellspunweddings.com/about_films.htm

http://www.filmjones.com/

http://www.workerbeedesigns.com/

Appreciating all things vintage, I think it's pretty cool.

Love? Hate? Let's dish!

2 comments:

  1. This was a fun post to read! There are probably a number of things I would do differently if I got married over again. (Not that I want to! I'm just sayin...) My dress is one. But the second is hire a videographer. And I think the 8mm would especially appeal to me. Great idea to link these guys...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Eileen! And I totally agree, I love the format.

    Sigh, to be wed again 1000 times over, each a different theme.

    ReplyDelete